The search is over for your perfect gown....you have found the wedding gown of your dreams & you are now ready to move onto finding the best gowns for your bridesmaids! But where do you start? How do you select a color and style that will look good on everyone?
The newest trend for your bridesmaids is something called "Sister Gowns". This allows your girls to be in either the same gown but different colors or different gowns but the same color. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when considering what type of Sister Gowns you would like for your wedding party:
1. Pick a unifying element. Whether you're pro matching bridesmaid dresses or not, something should tie your bridal party together style-wise. Pick at least one aspect of your bridesmaids' look—be it the color, neckline, or fabric—that unifies the group.
2. Coordinate your fabrics. It's going to look odd if you're wearing a soft, flowy chiffon gown while your bridesmaids wear structured taffeta shifts. Choose a fabric for the bridesmaid dresses that complements your own. Also try to keep the fabric the same for all of your girls so the sheen shows the same in photos.
3. Choose a length. Again, not all of your dresses need to match, but they should be the same length. You definitely don't want one of your 'maids "hemming up" the agreed upon tea-length skirt to show off her standout legs.
4. Select a style that flatters. Choose silhouettes that work well with your bridesmaids' body types. Jersey fabric and straps fit well on petite women, while a flowy empire waist allows for extra tummy coverage. For bridesmaids looking to add some shape, a fit-and-flare silhouette with a corset back adds curves.
5. Alter as needed. Even though bridesmaids shouldn't go rogue with alterations (see #3), the girls in your group should get their dresses tailored to their bodies. It may cost a few extra dollars, but the alternative is having a poorly-fitted dress that no one will want to wear or see ever again.
6. Listen to your bridesmaids. At the end of the day, having an unhappy bridesmaid helps no one. Listen to her opinion about what she is comfortable wearing and what her budget may be for purchasing the gown.